I will stand on my own two feet :: Navigating the journey of divorce


I do not write to please everyone. I do not write because I think it will make people happy. (Though, of course I do like to make people happy.) I do not write words because I think they are what you want to hear or what you want me to say. I have a voice and I am not shy about using it. I am vocal. I always have been. I remain true to my thoughts and my convictions. I always have and I always will. I can see many sides to a story. I can compromise when I deem it to be necessary. But I will stand on my own two feet. I always have and I always will. I will not back down because you may or may not agree with me. You don't have to. We are all different and all entitled to our own opinions, thoughts and beliefs. The words and thoughts here are mine. They are my opinions, thoughts and beliefs.

I started this site because after sharing a story or two on my other blog, the response I had from my readers was beyond overwhelming positive. Because you could relate to my words or knew of someone who could relate. You have been sent here by friends or you've sent your friends here. Many of us are traveling similar journeys and it is important for me to let you all know that you are not alone. It is important for me to know that I am not alone

I assure you all that when it comes to my privacy and my family's privacy, I leave out intimate details. Yes, I consider my ex husband to be part of my family. I do not voice things on this blog that I have not voiced to family members in person.

In terms of keeping the family unit strong, I try as best as I can. It is important for me to know that as parents we are both involved as much as possible in our children's lives. The children may not want both parents now, but down the road I believe that they will be glad to know that they were glad to see that we were both here for them. I will go into this in greater detail at a later time.

We all have different parenting styles. Our children are different. Our families, backgrounds and neighborhoods are all different. I parent my way. It is the way I best see fit to raise my children. It works for me and my children. I can only do my best. I am not a helicopter parent. I have never been one. I believe in letting children have their freedom (within limits, of course) to make their own decisions and make their own  mistakes if they have to. There is no greater lesson learned than that from a mistake. I can beg and plead with my child not to scooter so fast at the end of my street as it slopes downward and he may fall and get hurt. My child can take my advice or not. If he chooses not to do so, he will most likely fall down and get hurt. If the latter happens he will have learned his lesson. I will wipe his tears and comfort him and tell him that I tell him things for reason. He will have learned his lesson the hard way. That is a mistake that won't be repeated. This happens through the course of childhood. I cannot always be there to hold my children's hands. Some times I would like to. Other times not so much.

That's sort of how I see this blog. It's a lesson and a culmination of lessons to be learned. I will not reveal anything too personal, but I will share in a manner I see relate-able. I will not mince my words. I will not sugar-coat them. I am simply being open and honest, to a fault, perhaps but the only way we will ever move forward is if we look at the truth. Hiding behind it, denying it, won't help anyone.

This is how I parent. I am honest with my children. I do not shield them from anything. I don't think that's beneficial to anyone. I think children need honesty. There are ways to talk to children, and as no two children are alike we cannot talk to them alike. I can't, for example, talk to my 6 year old in the manner I talk to my 13 year old. It is not appropriate.

I am very expressive. If I am hurt, angry or scared I will convey these feelings to my children. They need to understand how I am feeling and why I am feeling that way. They know that their world has changed and they need to know why we need to adapt to those changes. As a child, money was a taboo subject and we never talked about money or finances. I do not believe this is a good practice. My children need to know the value of a dollar. They need to understand that, let's say, we go out for ice cream or pizza, then we have to cut back elsewhere - most likely at the grocery store - and that they can't simply toss every box of cookies or quart of ice cream into the shopping cart. They need to understand that money (for most of us) is not an endless supply. I talk to them openly and candidly. I simply couldn't let my daughter get the $9 loose-leaf binders just because they were prettier. I "made" her get the $5 binders. We saved $20 in so doing, or enough Pinkberry frozen yogurts for all of us!

"They" say you need to shelter your children from the nastiness of divorce, and while I do think that is true, children are wise beyond their years and they see everything. To brush everything under the carpet, in my opinion is wrong. I simply will not pretend that everything is OK. When they ask a question I answer it truthfully. I am not perfect nor is their father and while I want them to have healthy and open relationships with both of us I will not pretend that everything is hunky dory. I will not. You can agree and you can agree to disagree, I just ask that you respect my wishes and keep the unkind words to yourself.

I have learned over the last two years never to judge. It is simply not fair. I do not know your situation and I have not walked in your shoes. I ask, in return, that you not judge me.

I need this site and I know many of you out there do as well. I will not stop writing and I make no apologies for the words I write or the thoughts in my head. This is me. This is who I am. I am not changing. I am strong, I am brave, and I am striving to be the best person I possibly can be. 

Thank you,

Jessica


Comments

  1. Rock on, Jess. I continue to admire your courage and your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! We are working on the 'if you want this you might not be able to get this' stuff now. School supplies were just our latest. We have a somewhat unique situation in that my daughter is the only child and sometimes we need to say no for the sake of saying no since we can't say 'you can't get new shoes, your brother needs them more'.

    I think a lot of people appreciate your honesty and candidness. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep doing what you are doing. Your unvarnished accounts of your experiences are appreciated. I'm certain it would be much easier write a "prettier version" of your truth. Most of the bloggers I am familiar with give readers the "highlights" of their days, sugar coating their tribulations in a way that is unrelatable. I read your blog because I feel like you are willing to give a "behind the scenes" version of life as a 40-something woman, mother, and divorcee. Your writing seems honest and real and that's what makes it great.

    The other reason why I read your blog is that despite all of your personal ups and downs, you continue to maintain living a stylish life a priority. Living a stylish life has nothing to do with a divorce or kids. Love that!!!

    KBM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all! Your words mean a lot to me! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I agree with much of what you have to say, I do think there is one issue many bloggers don't necessarily seem to understand.

    Please understand when I use the term "you" - I mean anyone - this isn't a personal "you".
    When you choose to create a blog, it becomes public property and you open yourself up to all types of comments and criticisms. When you expose your diary (because that's basically what this type of blog is) you can't expect all comments to be sweetness and light and positive constantly telling you what an awesome person you are. Bloggers correctly believe they have the right to blog whatever they want to talk about, but many times, they don't want to truly hear other people's honest, respectful feedback if it deviates from whatever they believe about themselves.

    The internet is making us a meaner and dumber society. However, blogging can be a meaningful, interesting and educational tool for everyone involved if everyone maintains a certain level of civility. However, it's unrealistic for bloggers to think they are only going to get constant, positive reinforcement because as you've said many times people & experiences are different and women can be especially vicious with each other.

    In my life, I've learned the most from people who've vehemently disagreed with me or who have presented a different viewpoint that I hadn't considered. Those lessons have been painful but they are the ones which have stuck with me because they turned out to be very valid and true. Perhaps that's something you should consider the next time you feel a bit defensive about the occasional criticisms you get from some of your posts....?

    *sara*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sara,

    I fully expect people to disagree with me. What sort of a society would we be if we all thought alike? However, there are certain levels of respect that seem to disappear when people disagree. I think we can all converse, share stories and agree to disagree. There's a term I say to my kids all the time when I don't particularly care for their attitude or tone of voice. I tell them "It's not what you say, but HOW you say it." I think we can all respectfully share our points of views. I think my friend Avril did it and said it best in the comments in the posts below. She doesn't always agree or like what I have to say, but she respects my voice, my opinions.

    I'm not one for debates or arguments. I almost never talk politics for this reason... I really don't like to stir the pot, but this is not political. This is my life - what I choose to share of my life. It's not so much a diary, which is notes to oneself, but an open letter to you, if you will. There is much you all don't know about my life unless you know me in person. This is not meant to be a pretty blog (my other one is!) and this isn't meant to be all sugary sweet. My life isn't sugary sweet. Nobody's is.

    Truth be told I wish someone else had written this a year or two ago. I would have loved knowing that I wasn't alone. That what I was feeling and experiencing for actually quite normal for someone in my situation. And that's the primary reason I am writing this.

    Divorce is a very scary and lonely journey. My hope is that by sharing my stories others out there will know that they aren't alone; that even though I still struggle, I am happy and that I know everything is going to be OK. Everything always, somehow, ends up that way. It is also important for me to let people know that the journey isn't really over even though papers say it is.

    I believe my truest critics are those who have not themselves experienced divorce. And I think it is unfair that these people criticize me. My thoughts on the topic were certainly different years ago than they are now. I am learning and I am growing and still learning all about who I really am. And you know what? I like what I am. I am really very proud of who I am, what I have done and how far I have come. I am strong and loving and smart and kind. I am not shallow. I am not classless. I am graceful. I am hopeful. I am a better person today than I was a few years ago. I am a kinder, more compassionate person today than I was years ago. I am more patient, more tolerant... The purpose of this blog is to share and to help others, to instill strength and give them hope. I really hope that I am doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Realistically even though blogs are public it does not mean you have to read it, if you dislike what you are reading move on the next blog...there have been many times i`ve come across a blog where I dislike the new kitchen or think the new colour combo is ugly...but what good would it do for me to leave a negative comment...and then you think about how hard that person may have worked on that project. similar to your story nobody knows to true depth of your life what you are sharing is probably a smidgen if what happens amongst your reality...nobody knows that my husband almost died once,nobody knows that my family had a rough time financially....so just keep on going with what you are writing about and screw all the negativity :)

    my blog probably sucks, uninteresting, and my typos are horrendous but at the end of the day it`s really just for me.

    even though i have never been divorced and don`t have kids i still enjoy reading your blog...who knows maybe it will provide me with knowledge down the road...maybe i will have a friend who needs advice....maybe it will make me be more thankful.

    danica

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Next time I'll be braver, I'll be my own savior...standing on my own two feet" Adele Like this blog, she is one of my favorites! Don't just stand Jess...DANCE!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Danica. I agree with you regarding the blogs I don't particularly care for. The day's too short. I simply skip over them. I do love pretty blogs, but this isn't about that.

    I also think that this is is not necessarily for divorced women (or men) but for ALL women. We need to prepare for the worst. And maybe that's not divorce. Maybe it's the loss of a job or the death of a spouse. We need to learn to be strong and pool our resources together. To stand on our two feet and yet to ask for help when we need it.

    Many "kids" still come from college to marriage with very little experience and God forbid something happens to the family or the marriage. We need to keep learning and working, whether paid or not, so that when we find ourselves needing to support a family we can.

    We have so much pressure placed on us. We must manage marriages, raise families and still hold down some sort of job or career. It's very hard to manage them all. More than anything, I think this blog is about being strong, going after what you want, never settling, living life - as opposed to watching it from the sidelines, never giving up and remaining strong and true to yourself. I am glad that you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jo... I am! my favorite quote is my motto - "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but about learning how to dance in the rain."
    I'm dancing girls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jess, I have a lot of respect for you and how you can work out the complex nature of your experiences in a blog forum with a lot of wisdom behind your words. Keep dancing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am proud of you and the way you are dealing with your new life. You are so strong and I admire the fact that you can articulate your feelings through this blog. Your words will help so many people. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. You go, girl! This blog is YOUR blog. Your life is YOUR life. You are a great mom and friend. The anonymous commentors need to find another blog to read if they don't like your opinions anymore. Keep up the hard work. And I agree with Bethany that I am sure your words are helping countless people. Enjoy the last few moments of summer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Reach out to me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Well Loved Notes

Total Pageviews