Divorce is a foreign language


So true!


I'm learning really quickly that once a divorce has been declared by the court and the contents have been (more or less) divided and one household becomes two separate ones, all has not been said and done. By any means. I suppose this applies mostly to divorced parents than a divorced couple without children who can go along merrily on their separate ways, never have to see or speak to each other again.

A couple who has children is never really separated. True, both can go on to lead vastly different lives but they will always be connected, and rightly they should be. They are still bound together by their own flesh and blood. Children need their parents. Children need their parents to work together. Children need to know that their parents are still there for them and will always be there for them. Children need to know that their parents will always have their best interests at heart.Children need to know that their parents will always see eye to eye. And this is where it gets difficult because this is often where part of the trouble began. They never really saw eye to eye in the first place. And compromise could not always be met. And so arguments ensued. And even after the divorce, the same matters at hand will most likely arise.

There will, for a while, be anger, bitterness and sadness. Two people may continue to have difficulties reaching agreements and seeing eye to eye. The He Says She says will continue. To add to the confusion and to make things harder and more complex children will talk and express their feelings of sadness, confusion and anger. They will tell one parent certain things about another parent. And vice versa. Children will become closer to one parent and not like another parent. This may be in part due to the divorce and it may in part due to the children's ages. A teenage girl will be fiercely loyal to her mother. It's the nature of the beast.

And as parents we listen to our children and talk to them as they voice their concerns and fear, likes and dislikes. And we will become angered, often enraged at what we hear... when we hear that their other parent is acting irresponsibly, meanly or in a manner they do not see fit. We must listen to our children and know that somewhere in there is the truth. We must take the information at hand and figure out best how to use it and what to do with it.

My daughter does not want to be with her father these days. She never wants to leave my house and we often have tears and battles before she heads off to her other house. And often from there I will receive endless amounts of texts, telling me how unhappy she is... how her father is always angry with her... how she never does anything right. I must then use that information and determine how much of this is true and how much of it has been twisted into something it really isn't. It's not all black and white. There is a great deal of grey matter and we must try to decipher this. We must try to translate the language of divorce. Sometimes siblings can corroborate. Often they can't. You may think to yourselves, after reading this, that I should keep my daughter with me, and I have on occasion, but for two reasons I don't. As a work at home mother, I desperately need the quiet, down-time to get work down. (My daughter is a chatterbox!) And, even more importantly, my daughter may not have a great relationship with her father at the moment, but I don't want to see the frayed edges become more tattered, torn and I don't want to see their fabric completely unwoven. She needs to be with him. He needs to be with her. They need to get reacquainted... I hope this happens. I hope this damaged bond can be healed. Both will need to work on this. Both are stubborn...

I was not happy to hear that their father went out on Saturday night. I was not happy to hear this because he has his kids two weekends a month and but a few hours during the week. I was not happy to hear this because he hired an irresponsible babysitter who let the children stay up until 12:30 - as in after Midnight. I am not bothered so much that the older two were up, but certainly a 6 year old must have a curfew. I am not happy that their father returned home after Midnight. He has enough free time that his social life shouldn't dip into his time with the children. Oftentimes people will rearrange their schedules for me. I would have watched the children that night, but I had plans as well. As a parent, our responsibility is to our children. Our children are our priorities. Everything else is second. Everything else should be second.

As with everything there are two sides to a story. In the case of divorce there are often three, or more, depending on how many children there are. All three, or more, stories are often spoken in a foreign language.

I document everything still. I am divorced but this is not the end of my story. I still worry about my children and always will. I have recent pictures on file, as well as texts from my daughter. Sometimes I can find a common ground... sometimes I feel that my daughter can exaggerate or that her view of her situation is skewed. But as parents we cannot just let that slide. How and what our children are thinking are crucially important. Their mental and physical well-beings are perhaps even more important than they were before-hand. Never dismiss what your children are telling you. Write everything down. Talk to your ex if you can. Talk to other divorced parents. Talk to professionals. And, it wouldn't behoove you to keep a dialog with your lawyer. As a mother I will always worry about my children. As a divorced mother, I probably worry about them even more.

XOXO

Jessica


Comments

  1. You shouldn't be posting this stuff on the internet. It can come back to bite you in court.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous -

    Please re-read my post. You have it all wrong.

    No one is going to court... It's not about making matters at hand more difficult, but about fixing them. It's about documenting so parents can see what their children are thinking and how their children are thinking. Perhaps a third party will need to be involved - perhaps a family member or teacher or health-care professional. With documented material, a third party can be better equipped to help.

    Sometimes what is on the written page is more easily accepted than what is heard. This was the sage advice of my lawyer. We are all visual creatures. We all want what's best for our kids, but we need to learn how to translate the information at hand and how to use it to help our children. Read again carefully... I want my children to be healthy. I want them to have healthy relationships with BOTH parents- obviously this is hard sometimes due to a child's age, but I am encouraging all children to have healthy relationships with both parents. When I have an issue concerning my children with my ex I communicate that issue. I am not airing dirty laundry here. I expressed to him my displeasure with the absolutely irresponsible babysitter and hopefully he will never use her again.

    I am using my experience to help others who are having similar issues with their children.

    I have seen too many irresponsible fathers who put social lives ahead of their own children and I cannot tell you how that upsets me. I simply won't allow my ex to ever become that way - not that I am implying he would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, You are amazing! by sharing your experiences in this foreign event of your life -divorce- you are definitely helping others (who may not be as strong or have no support - no one to speak to) and letting them know they are not alone. Your writing is always very open and you show both and all sides ... great job! Your daughter may be feeling angry towards Dad ... as in her mind maybe she feels- he left her - and that's why she may not want to go ... You are a great mother in encouraging her to go - but also for respecting her feelings and allowing her to stay with you at times - Balance... I admire your strength ... keep writing - it will help others and in a way help you too! xo HHL

      Delete
  3. Dear Celia,

    Thank you for your kind words.
    I want to clarify that her father didn't leave her nor does she feel that way. She's just going through normal teenage "stuff" and at the moment identifies more with and can relate more to her mother. I suspect this would be the case even if her father and I weren't divorced!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Jessica - divorce is never easy, hopefully you find a good balance with your ex for the kids. I went through it 20 years ago, and unfortunately my ex was more concerned with driving wedges between me and our daughter than in doing what was best for HER. Good luck to you and your children, your writing is very honest and open and you seem like a wonderful mother. Your children are lucky to have you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Miss Jessica,

    This is an interesting post and a turning point in my feelings about your blog. I am deeply disturbed about your lack of respect for the intimacy of the relationship between your ex and your daughter. This is a public forum and not an appropriate place for these issues to be aired. I doubt that you have the consent of either for this invasion. Your blog may be your way of chronicling your experience but there are some things that should be respected. In a grander day society called this "class"

    The other emotion that I have been getting from your posts of late is one of anger. We have all been in conflict in our lives and the only way to move beyond it is to let it go. Are you really that indignant that your children stayed up until 12:30? Have you NEVER done that? Is it that bad that he called a sitter? I recall another posts where you praised your daughter for babysitting so that you could go out on dates.

    I truly don't want to be harsh but I have been following you since before this journey and I see a change that I don't care for. If you want to show us your life then show us your life but don't show disrespect for your family if your truly care about them.

    I am posting this anonymously because I don't want the lengthy debate that would surely follow. I just ask you to consider my words. This information is public, and forever once you post it. Can you really be sure that it is harmless and always will be? If you can't, then keep it in and call it "class".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Annonymous,

    Frustration yes. Anger no.

    I have put my daughter in charge for no more than 2 or 3 hours at a clip. Mostly to meet a friend who has hired me for writing, etc for her business. When the children are alone, I am never more than 5 minutes away. I would meet during the day but the oldest was working. She was away for a month and I had no help whatsoever. I am a trying to make it as a working mom on a stay at home mother's schedule. I am trying my best to accommodate everyone. If I had the budget for a babysitter I would hire one in a New York minute.

    Yes, I have an issue with my youngest one staying up past his bedtime, 10pm during the summer which is more than generous.

    I disrespect no one. I am merely stating that in this situation there are more sides to the story and as a mother I must best try to see where the truth really lies. I am trying to protect my daughter and giver her the strength and the tools to not only succeed but prosper.

    What I have written here has also been expressed to my ex. He is aware of our daughter and her feelings. I let him know what I thought about that irresponsible sitter.

    My daughter is not alone in this situation. There are many other children her age in similar situations. I have everything down in writing that she has expressed to me, including copies of her texts. This will only help down the road for I have much going on, too much going on right now and I can't remember what happened 5 minutes ago. I write things down so I can remember.

    When I was 13 I preferred my mother to my father. my parents were not divorced. It's a statement, a matter of fact. And most likely a very common occurrence.

    I do not, nor have I EVER aired my dirty laundry. I have suffered incredibly over the years and have kept quiet about how I have been treated. I will say no more, this is neither the time nor the place. I am saddened that my children were witness to this. You haven't walked in my shoes. You haven't been in my home behind closed doors. I beg you, Dear Anonymous, not to judge me unfairly. I don't judge others and I ask that you don't judge me. Unless you have talked to me at length over the past couple of years, you truly do not know my story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess, excellent post about things that need to be said! With the divorce rate now over the 50% mark on marriages, hiding feelings in the closet does no one any good. People who share the sad ending of a marriage with you, will surely feel a commonality, and benefit from knowing they're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. You certainly bring out the fire in people! Well done Jess!

    We've 'known' each other for a few years now and you know I will always defend your right to blog the way you want to blog. I don't always agree, rarely understand and don't always like what you say...but this is your blog, your feelings, your life. You have the b*lls to put your name and face on it and you own it...if someone doesn't respect what you say or how you life, they should respect your bravery for putting it out there without hiding behind a mask or the name Anonymous.

    I can't even fathom what you have dealt with in the last few years but I do know you have come through it with your head held high, and the drive to be an example to your children.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Reach out to me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Well Loved Notes

Total Pageviews