a birthday like no other... another in my year of firsts

glittery
via rawrrrxamanda - Flickr


It was a big one. It was a milestone. I wanted to be festive. I wanted to celebrate. I wanted to shout it out. And yet I wanted to crawl under a rock... to sleep through the day... to hide from the world... from my children... from myself. Another in my new world of Firsts has come and gone. The day was just like any other without pomp or circumstance. 

My Birthday was on Friday. I turned 45. It was a big one. For me, Birthdays are not about gifts, they're about acknowledgment. I don't need expensive or fancy toys. A card or flowers are lovely. They're perfect. But I got none this this year. I got nothing. There were no candles, no cake, no handmade cards, no handpicked flowers. No crafts... and so it was, my 45th Birthday, my first Birthday as a single mother and it kind of sucked. 

I could have told people that it was my Birthday but I didn't want anyone to go out of their way for me. I didn't want to trouble anyone. I didn't want pity. I did want a little attention. I did want want some love and support. 

The day, I can't even say was not unlike any other. It was a memorable one for sure. It all started off when I had been to Starbucks and was enjoying a nice cappuccino with my daughter. I didn't put the lid back on securely and when I went to take a sip hot coffee came pouring out... all over my brand new white jeans and light blue Lilly Pulitzer tunic. We were to be at my son's DARE graduation in just 5 minutes. But I was filthy, soaked and slightly burned. I had to go home and change. So we did. I changed and fast as I could and drove back as fast as I could... and missed his graduation. He didn't care. I did of course. I felt as though I had let him down. I felt as though I had failed him... as though this was yet another things I could not keep on top of - which has been happening more and more lately. 

We left the school and my daughter and I had plenty of errands to run and things to do to occupy our time. She had no school on Friday as she had just finished her exams. Target was on our hit list. We had a few small things to pick up and then ended up by the basket ball hoops. We stood there and looked. I decided it would be a worthwhile investment and so I decided to get it because my children need to be outside this summer. Getting it in and out of the car was another struggle. 

The afternoon ended with a pool party. And all was fine until ...


I slashed my tire when I accidentally scraped it against a jagged granite curb. Happy Birthday to me! I wanted to cry. I really did. I wanted to break down and sob but in my old age I know that wouldn't have solved a thing. I called AAA and while I waited we went inside to our friends' house where we waited comfortably. We could have broken down in a much worse place. We were lucky. I can never forget that. In spite of everything. In spite of a crappy Birthday and the unnecessary expense of needing a new tire due to my carelessness, it could have been so very much worse. And, while we waited I even had a glass of champagne...

The day came and went. Without pomp. Without circumstance. Without fanfare. It was sad. It was lonely. But it could have been so much worse.

XOOX

Jessica



Comments

  1. Does your daughter not know when your birthday is?

    The coffee and tire incidents could happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere....single or married. Try not to let them cloud your feelings about things.

    Did you parents acknowledge? Any of your friends? Family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avril - My mom sent me a card ... my parents called. My daughter really wished she had money to get me something... her father could have taken her. Thank goodness for FB ... my page was filled with well wishers. It was lovely... lovely indeed and I didn't take one of those wishes for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear ... you handled the day with wisdom and grace. 45 is a milestone, but you are now in your 46th year and this time next year when the time comes to celebrate your 46th year... Your new life will be where and what you want it it to be. xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not the way you should be celebrating a birthday, milestone or otherwise but maybe this is another one of those stepping stones towards your new life. I know each year will get better and better.
    First year for the kiddies in this situation, someone should have stepped up and helped them a little bit regardless of their personal feelings.
    Emailed you on Friday with my birthday wishes, not sure if you got it but you were in my thoughts as always! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will look back at this day and smile and laugh at how you thought it was terrible but actually was great. You did it, you got through it and you are better for it. I wish it was an easier day and a little more celebratory but I will just wish you a Happy Birthday, a happy year and a happy life. Keep smiling! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica,

    What a crap day. But, you have to let friends in to help support you and celebrate with you and cry over spilled coffee with you. You deserve a re-do. Mark off a day just for you, and celebrate being 45 the way YOU want to. You took charge of your life and made the hard decisions already. Taking charge of your birthday should be a piece of cake...literally! Now, go have a Happy Birthday! You deserve it.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anastasia, Mary Beth, Jaqueline... thank you all for your kind words. My Birthday, as with most days over these past couple of years have been about survival and, in the end, coming out on top... learning from these lessons, gaining from these lessons and getting stronger each and every day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope some friends take you out this weekend to celebrate.... Celebrate you, your health, your children. I am sorry your bday didn't pan out the way you hoped.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Reach out to me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Well Loved Notes

Total Pageviews