the little house that wasn't meant to be...

image courtesy HGTV


I'm looking for a new home. A place to call my own. A house that's smaller and easier to maintain than my present home. A house that I can call a home. A house that the children can call home. I don't want anything too large, just large enough to accommodate a family of four. The boys need some space to run around both inside and outside. My criteria isn't too long. I'm not too demanding. My needs, at this point, are pretty simple.

Last week I saw a house. A perfect house. A perfect home. She was an expanded cape built in 1941. She was the charm of yesteryear, well built, beautiful arches and moldings... newly refinished hardwood floors... newly installed carpeting in the bedrooms and den. This little house sat at the edge of a river. Her surroundings were peaceful, relaxing. Inside she evoked the same sense of calm. She was a happy house. She gave off a good vibe. Immediately I could imagine all my children here, at home, happy. The boys could run around outdoors and walk along the river. I imagined Rebecca having sleepovers with her girlfriends out on the three season porch, windows open, the soothing sounds of the waters rushing past. In the wintertime we could huddle together in front of the fireplace. As I walked through the house with my realtor, my good friend, I started to imagine myself in this house. I started to imagine the children in this house... in this home... our home.

Upstairs, down the hall from two nicely sized bedrooms was the master bedroom. She boasted Cathedral ceilings and a magnificent view of the river below. I started decorating the space with my eyes. I knew where, exactly, I would place my bed. I would wake up every morning greeted by the sun above and the river below. How magnificent! I simply had to have this house! This house had my name written all over it. This home had my name written all over it.

How dangerous this had become. We hadn't left and I had already moved in... I pictured my morning coffee by the water... I pictured sitting at my desk, writing, waters rushing by. So serene, tranquil, inspiring!

My realtor rushed me out of the house. We had more to see. And if I was considering making an offer I would have to do so immediately. This house would go quickly. So we called the listing agent as we drove off to other houses and made our offer. The other houses were all wrong. All wrong for me. All wrong for my children.

As I sat and waited. And waited and waited and waited to find out my housing fate I continued to visually move into the house. I continued to decorate and place furniture. I continued to daydream. I was starting to navigate choppy waters, I knew this. There were three other offers besides my own. Every other offer was higher than mine. This wasn't looking good. I'd have to leave it up to fate. I started to pray. I don't pray. I make wishes when the time on the clock reads 11:11. I makes wishes when I blow out Birthday candles, but I don't pray.

I got the word late on Friday afternoon. I did not get the house. I wasn't devastated as I was realistic to my situation. I was sad, of course, I was disappointed, of course. And so, this turned out to be the little house that was not meant to be... I'm OK with that. Things have a way of working themselves out, I hope!

Have you ever done that? Have you ever wanted something so badly that you started to envision your life with it or in it?

XOXO

Jessica

Comments

  1. Yes! All the time. I look at house in terms of holidays. Where will I put the tree? How many people can I seat for Thanksgiving? Realistically, we say "it wasn't meant to be", even when our hearts are saying "but it so way"....and we move on! It will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the house sounded perfect for you. I'm sorry you didn't get it. Another home will come along and the thrill of the hunt is the fun part! When I'm house hunting, I'm already decorating the house before I leave the property!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Constantly do this.... Especially when looking to buy a new house, which I know should be my home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always figure it didn't work out because there is something better coming along. It stinks tho...I've been there mentally moving in, meanwhile being outbid left and right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh totally! I was so set on a house a few years ago and didn't get it. Now I get to drive by it and another family lives there (UGH). AND to boot--our offer was MUCH higher.
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally relate. The process of house hunting is so hard on the heart strings. To make an offer you have to be totally in love with the house. The catch it may not work out. So hard! You will find something even better! I know I will go through the same process all over again when we figure out where we will settle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done that a couple of times. Once we didn't get the house and with time we realized it really wasn't the right one for us but I still think about that house from time to time. This time around we didn't get the house either at first but in today's market a lot can change and a year later we ended up getting it!! I truly think I'd like to live here forever. If this is the house that's meant to be yours it will happen. Best of luck in your search for a new home. It's out there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was not the house that was meant to be after all Jessica. Hard to fathom at the time but I'm sure the right one is waiting for you right around the corner. Things like this have happened to me & now as I look back there was always a reason, but a very hard & frustrating pill to swallow at the time. Hang in there Jessica & I am sure it will all work out best for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Pattie! I do know that everything will work out. I have faith that it all will.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been there, in the same situation and I cried. As I know you already know, something better for you four will come along. It doens't seem possible but I am sure it will. It eventually did for me.
    Are you looking to rent now?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you K, - Yes, I am looking to rent and the rental market here is positively insane. Now with the business and The Entertaining House really starting to take off and go places I need a space where I can work, be productive and organize all work-related projects... This is a tough one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We got out bid on a house. I had visions of me stripping the wallpaper with my kid in a playpen (just like "our" moms did), kids reading in the window seat...
    very vivid images. We got out bid. I was heartbroken. My husband still teases me about when I woke him up at 3am telling him we should get a new realtor after the low bid ours suggested. (we kept our realtor, and found a perhaps less grand house but in a better neighborhood)
    blah blah blah blah mah nah mah na

    Anyway, I wish the best in your search. It is exciting to imagine new digs for your new chapter in life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great article! This is the type of information that are meant to be shared around the net.
    Shame on Google for not positioning this submit higher!
    Come on over and talk over with my site . Thank you =)

    Also visit my web blog; what is a graduate certificate

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Reach out to me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Well Loved Notes

Total Pageviews