Turn that frown upside-down!

It's a hard time of year. Even in the best of times, when your life is swell, the holidays can be frenzied and hectic and stressful. We rush around from place to place without a moment to breathe... We often have several events to attend in one night... We have the pressures of gifts and of time and for many of us finances.

I do so love the holidays. Even when I'm not in the spirit I try to get myself into the spirit. Even though time to myself is hard to come by, I do try to carve out a little time just for me every day. Yes, every day. I do little things to make myself feel good. I try to pamper myself.

I'm an early morning kind of a girl. I love to get up before the rest of the house does. I think there is no way better to start the day than to have coffee in bed and relax and wake up slowly... before all Hell breaks loose! Likewise my day is not complete without a small glass of wine on my bedside table. If this is all I can get I'll take it.

If I can, I'll luxuriate in a long shower or bath. In the bath I'll bring a drink and a book that I can sink my teeth into . I pour in the bubbles. The more the merrier!

In the shower I love my lemon scrub. I simply love it. It's like a ray of sunshine in my bathroom. I've posted the recipe below for you all to try.

Usually I take my wet hair and toss it into a pony tail. But a blow dry and a little make up will brighten any face and any mood.

As will a pedicure or manicure. If you can go out and pamper yourself go for it. Otherwise a coat of color on the toesies does wonders for a blue soul.

Other great ideas for some good self-preservation time are:
A trip to the movies, alone. I went alone for the first time over the summer and loved it!
If you enjoy eating out by yourself, go out by yourself. (Personally I prefer to go out if I'm with a friend.)
Call a friend and meet them for lunch or dinner.
Call a friend and invite them over for coffee or wine, or bubbly!
Crawl into bed with a good book.
Crawl into bed and watch a good movie
Write a letter. Not an email but a letter.
Start a journal. Write in the journal you started but keep forgetting about.
Go through your magazines and flag all that inspires you.
Call a friend you haven't talked to in a long time.
Do you have a neglected passion or hobby?
Pick up the water colors... pick up the camera and go into town at dusk and capture the magic of the holidays!
Bake some goodies for a friend while listening to Christmas music, of course.
Take a few minutes to reassess and re-evaluate your life... make notes... create your to do list.
Make a list of things you want to do or try in the New Year and force yourself to do them.
Go ahead, indulge in the chocolate... you know you want to!

XOXO


Jessica





Citrus Salt Scrub
(Image and recipe from Paula Dean)


 
1/2 cup sea salt 
1/2 cup sweet almond oil (Recipe says that you can substitute olive oil. I tried that but I thought I smelled like an olive bar. I had better luck with grapeseed oil.) 
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

1/2 teaspoon orange zest - I also squeezed a little bit of juice from the lemon into it for a more lemony aroma.


Comments

  1. Great advice Jessica. I'm off to buy a big box of sea salt today....I wonder if I could add some of the essential oils that Aveda sells?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you could, Mo! Let me know how you make out!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be be bringing my wine into bed tonight for sure. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn, it's THE only way to go to bed!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Reach out to me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Well Loved Notes

Total Pageviews