the advocate


So true

I stirred up some controversy on Facebook yesterday (yes, I know... there's a shocker!) when I posted about pulling my son from school. A wave, more like a tsunami, of comments flooded my page with everything from well-meaning and supportive, to mean and critical comments. To be expected, of course. The comments, and really there were just a couple, that were not so positive suggested that I was caving and that my little one was playing me. And while this may be true, I also know, better than anyone, how my children really are. I believe in tough love. I believe in being firm and strict but, by that same token we must listen to our children. Alexander cannot articulate why he hates school so much but he does. It is not normal to scream every night before bedtime. It is not normal to fight me every morning. Not in the first grade when learning should be fun and play.

I kept him from school and it was such a great and insightful day. I saw exactly what he is capable of. I saw that he is bright and inquisitive and expressive. He doesn't like to write and his oral skills are so much stronger than his written skills. I can work with him and adapt to his learning style. I can teach creatively, but alas his school cannot. What I learned from working with him yesterday made me realized that his intelligence is not getting the recognition it deserves and before he slips through the cracks and completely loses interest I must do something. He needs to be happy again. He needs to get excited about learning again.

It's been 9 weeks. It's been 9 long weeks. And while we saw a short respite, the days missed from the storm and election day have set us back. Way, way, way back.... So here we are again. As parents we want what's best for our kids. We want them to learn and grow and thrive. We want them to succeed and set them up for success. We don't want to see them struggle. We don't want to see them sad. From the moment our children are born we have that dire instinct to protect them. When they are little they can't adequately express themselves. We need to speak up for them. Speak out for them. We need to be their advocates. It really kind of sucks that I have to fight for my child in what should be a nurturing and welcoming environment. They spend more time at school than they do at home and they should fee as safe and comfortable at school as they do at home.

I want my kid to be an artist. Or a musician. Or a celebrated novelist. Perhaps a lawyer or doctor. I want him to be a prize-winning architect. Or perhaps even the recipient of the Nobel Prize. I want him to be whatever it is he wants to be. The world is his oyster. But if he continues down this path where he is sad and anxious and uninspired he won't be any of those things. Children, at this age, are hungry for knowledge. Their minds are like sponges, and I know Alexander soaks every bit of information up that he possibly can. The things that he repeats to me are astounding. I'm constantly learning from him. Every day he teaches me something. But what he's teaching me isn't what he's bringing home from the classroom.

And there seems to be a great disconnect.

I was told by his teacher that he reads below grade level. I was shocked to hear this as we have been reading books that seemed, to me, to be quite advanced. She told me that he's too distracted to sit and read or write for an extended period of time. And this manifests itself in his writing too. I've known this all along but he's had teachers who have been able to help keep him focused or re-engage or help him to re-focus and when that happens he's just where he should be. The problem here lies in the fact that he is one of 24 children in his classroom. There is just one teacher and no aide. In a class of 24 very highly spirited kids, Alexander basically doesn't stand a chance. And this is why he is bored and miserable. He is not learning the way he should be as he is much too distracted to do so.

Of course I can medicate and at some point we will go that route, but medicating ADHD kids isn't all that easy. There's no such thing as a miracle pill. There's no cure-all. It's a constant battle and constant effort to keep on top of the children and teachers to make sure that we're on the right track. Sometimes it can take months to get the medicine and the dosage just right. In a small school where teachers reach out to you this can be done.

Alexander is not a complainer. Of course he'll complain to me, I'm his mother. But I can drop him off at school, screaming and crying and he'll wipe his tears and "man up" so as not to draw attention to himself. But I can see, as I watch him cross the parking lot to the back of the building, by his demeanor and his gait, that he's not happy. It crushes me. Each and every time I watch him, it crushes me.

Alexander is, apparently, a lovely young boy in the classroom. He is helpful and courteous and is one of the more mature children. He is friends with everyone and he is well received by his peers. Yet he never wants anyone to come over for a play date. He doesn't want to socialize with these children. By that same token our phone isn't ringing either. (I've never been given a list of phone numbers of the children in his classroom.) So all Alexander has is me and I wish he had more. He's such a good and outgoing kid. He's always made friends easily. He's always loved his play dates.

This little child has been through so very much in the past 6 months. He has moved houses, towns and is trying to come to terms with our divorce. He has had to start a new school. And his older brother and sister haven't had to. That's an awful lot to place on a little kid.

He's happy at my home and he's happy when he's with his father. He isn't happy at school.

I need to be his advocate. Without me he has no one... I do think we have a terribly long road ahead...


Wish me luck!

XOXO,


Jessica



Comments

  1. Your Alexander's mom, and you know what's best for him. As a parent (and someday teacher) in the public school system, though, I wish you'd decided to stick it out. That you were more voice in the budget meetings telling officials that classes are too big, that your child needs more attention, that you have questions about the curriculum.

    One more anecdote for the road:

    When I was 9, we moved away from a town that I loved and a school that I loved to a strange new place that was probably wonderful in its own way, but I was not at all interested in finding that out. I sat sullenly in my classes. I didn't do my homework. I had a terrible attitude. There had been red flags from the school along the way, but it wasn't until my parents got my report card at the end of the grading period that showed that I was failing everything that anything happened.

    My dad took me out to lunch--just him and me (which was usual)--and he let me know in no uncertain terms that I was to knock it off and pull it together. Conveniently (!) we happened to be moving again in another week so I would have the chance for a massive do-over. So, I started over in yet another school in another state, and this time, I really did "pull it together," though I still missed my friends and there was a lot about the school I didn't like (uniforms!).

    There was a lot about that approach that I've resented over the years, and it's not something that I could imagine doing to my kids (whose whole lives have been based around the premise that I don't want them to have to switch schools as I did). Ultimately, however, it did serve me well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, my youngest son is severely dyslexic. When he was in second grade we lived in a town where the public school system was not known as the best so he went to Catholic school with his older brother. He also hated school. One night, a mother I did not know called me to tell me that her son was upset that the teacher would make my son read out loud everyday as the example of how "not" to read. I was livid. Didn't sleep all night. Went to the school the next morning and found him sitting on the steps trying to read while his class played in the parking lot. I immediately became his advocate. I pulled him from the school, paid to have him tested to see what the problem was. I went to the NJEA headquarters in Trenton and they helped me research which school district would be right for him. We immediately sold our house, and moved to a town that he could thrive in. And he did! He graduated from high school on the principals list and The Art Institute of America with a culinary degree. Today he his a confident successful chef. Where would he be if I didn't take his future by the horns and become his advocate? Do what you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    I have always believed that when it comes to your child you should follow your heart. Will you make some mistakes? Absolutely. But you are the only one who truly knows your child. If your gut tells you that something is wrong, follow it.
    If you then choose, as Jaqui suggests, to go before the budget committee to stand up for other children, by all means do. But not at Alexander's expense.
    Good luck my friend. He is a lucky boy to have a mom who realizes how important it is to listen.
    We aren't FB friends so I don't know what was said to you, but I am sorry that you have had to struggle with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, so sorry you're going through this and my heart goes out to Alexander. My brother went through a similar experience years ago. My parents had him tested and he transferred to a wonderful school that specialized in teaching children with learning differences. Through financial aid, they were able to make this happen - it was tough financially, but my brother finally thrived in school. The tears stopped; his confidence grew. I hope you are able to find a similar place for Alexander. You are his strongest advocate and you know what he needs. I don't think you keeping him out of school that day was the wrong thing to do - it sounds like he needed that moment, as did you. I will keep you guys in my prayers. Here's hoping that 2013 is a wonderful year for you and your family. (And thank you for kind words a few weeks ago via email - things are still tough, but we're working through it. Believe me, I'm ready to say goodbye to 2012 and move on to a fresh year!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind words and support... we have so many issues at hand here... We have the ADD which seems to be bothering him at school and we have the complications of all the other live stuff... It'll all sort itself out in the end... somehow it always does - as much as this can overwhelm me I need to remind myself of that from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor little guy! So sorry that he has been having a tough school year. I can vividly recall having a teacher in 2nd grade that made my entire school year nothing but a bad memory. I was even caught running away from school one day. Of course, my teacher had no idea since she spent the majority of her time in the teacher lounge during class time. Thank goodness some fellow classmates went and reported me leaving. LOL That was so many years ago, but I must say I still remember it like yesterday. As you said, Alexander has been through a lot of change in the past few months. Of course as his parent, you know your child best and realize his unhappiness at school is not normal. As hard as it can be....try to disregard all of the criticism from those that have questioned your decision on fbook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy child happy mum or vice versa that has always been my motto

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moving schools can be tough on kids. You know him best and keeping him home to see what's going on should help work things out. And, I think years from now he'll always remember that time in 1st grade when his mom let him stay home and he'll always know that you care about him more than anything. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Reach out to me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Well Loved Notes

Total Pageviews